Saturday, April 21, 2012

Are ATMs plentiful when you get off the plane at CDG?

I usually never change over money and prefer just to take out money when I land-- will this be a problem at CDG? We%26#39;ll need cash for a taxi and for any other immediate needs.





TiA!




|||



When you get out of passport control and enter the main terminal, look to your left. There should be an ATM there.





I wouldn%26#39;t exactly say that ATM%26#39;s are %26quot;plentiful%26quot; at CDG, but it is much better than it used to be when it seemed that none of them worked. But on my last 4 or 5 trips I did not have a problem with ATM%26#39;s at CDG.




|||



There are enough ATMs through airport, Yiu may have to look for one,



Roissy bus now accepts credit cards,%26#39;It is a good idea to have a least 75 Euros when you arrive at airport.




|||



Recently returned from Paris. When I travel I always utilize the ATM%26#39;s upon arrival. Never had a problem. However, as luck would have it, the two ATM%26#39;s I approached were out of money. I then found an American Express office. I used my card to obtain cash.




|||



I heard that when you use the ATM%26#39;s they charge you around 3 dollars per extraction. Is that correct? And is the exchange rate the same as anywhere else, or is it a bit worse?




|||



the exchange rate you will get at an ATM is much better than any you will get at a Change window. Always go with the bank%26#39;s rates. Even with the 3% charge, it is a better deal. Plus, it%26#39;s the easiest way to bring money to France.





Les




|||



Last time I flew into CDG, the ATM was out of money. I had planned to get some euros before I go again (in 2 weeks!), but I%26#39;ve waited too late. So, I%26#39;m going to take $100 American, just in case I can%26#39;t use my ATM at the airport. At least I can exchange that much to take the train into the city and get to another ATM.




|||



All good points -- one of the things you might want to do, if you think you will return within a year or two, is hang onto some euros (instead of spending all in the duty free before you board for your return flight). I really like having 30 or 40 already in hand (plus the small change that%26#39;s so handy for %26quot;les toilettes%26quot;), which usually is enough to let me find an ATM if needed, buy a phone card, etc.





Besides, at the rate the dollar is sinking, it%26#39;s a good investment!





;- )




|||



If you are a member of an AAA club, they may have a %26#39;tip pack%26#39; which will give you enough Euros to get started.




|||



I subscribe to the school of thought that says exchange $100 or so at a Bureau de Change at your US departure airport so that you arrive in Paris with sufficient %26#39;..arrival convenience..%26#39; cash already in-hand so that you can hit-the-ground-running as soon as you exit Customs...enough for airport transfer fares, tips, sundries, until you get to your final destination in Paris and locate the local ATMs. If there%26#39;s a chance that there%26#39;s a problem with your ATM card or a temporary problem with the machines there, the airport immediately upon arrival is probably the last place you want to discover it and have to deal with it.





The excahnge rates at any Bureau de Change...whether US or CDG--will stink...but on an amount this small, the convenience and security factors probably outweigh the additional rate %26#39;..hit..%26#39; you will take, relative to waiting to use a CDG ATM.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 01, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment