Sunday, April 15, 2012

Best way to travel from Paris to the French Riveria??

I have 5 nights in Paris and then I have 3 nights to go to the French Riveria. Can anyone tell me the best way to travel there and what city to stay in? St Tropaz, Cannes, Nice? Can I spend one night in each place or is that too much travel? How would I get from one town to the next? Any help is greatly appreciated.



Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!




|||



Your best bet is to take a flight, there are several carriers and it will be cheaper and faster then taking the train. You can get a one way ticket through EasyJet for less then 50 euros from Paris to Nice, the flight is about 1 1/2 hours. Fastest train takes 5 1/2 hrs and cost over $100.





I don%26#39;t recommend splitting your time between 3 different places as it will be too much.





I would pick Nice if it%26#39;s your first time. You can take a side trip to Cannes, Monaco, Menton, Eze or Grasse.





You can get around by bus, ferry, train or rent a car. Driving outside of Nice isn%26#39;t bad, but it can get a little expensive finding parking in Nice (and a bit crazy till you get your bearings).




|||



FLY. It%26#39;s super cheap and the fastest way down there. I have multiple friends in Paris with homes in the south, they all fly down.





You can take a train from one of those cities to the next. Look up sncf.com





Les




|||



%26gt; You can take a train from one of those cities to the next.





I don%26#39;t believe that it%26#39;s possible to get to St Tropez on the train.




|||



Thank you to all!! I fly into CDG from the States, will take a bus to Orly, take a flight to Toulon and then a bus into St Tropez. There for 3 nights. Guess I;ll sleep like a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!



Not I need to find a hotel that isn%26#39;t sold out.



Thanks again




|||



I disagree completely. When you add up all the airport transportation and costs, the amount of time getting to/from the airport and everything else, you could burn the better part of a day.



The TGV leaves from Gare de Lyon to Marseille, costs as little as 33€, (if you book a week in advance) and only takes 3 hours and 15 minutes. You board in the center of Paris (in a spactaular train station I might add), and you get off in the middle of Marseille. No wasted time. You can walk around, have a glass of wine or a snack in the bar car, and see actual scenery out the window.



We%26#39;ve done the one city/day through the Riviera thing and it works just fine. The train service along the coast is frequent and cheap. We traveled in the late afternoons.




|||



Marseilles is a fascinating city, but it%26#39;s not Nice, Cannes or St. Tropez. Making connections in Marseilles to the coastal train will also eat up time, too.





I absolutely endorse taking a jet from Paris.





My wife and I flew Easy Jet 3 years ago from Paris to Nice, and cheap cheap cheap ($50 each!) and quick (about 90 minutes, maybe slightly less than that). We did a one-way, and had purchased an open jaw ticket from the U.S. to Paris, and Nice back to the U.S. The open jaw gave us one less major travel day back to Paris, well worth the small money we paid to buy the open jaw tickets in the first place.





You can rent a car at the Nice airport, and getting around is pretty easy, at least that%26#39;s what I found. Of course, summer traffic can be thick and slow, so YMMV. But the distance between Nice and Cannes and St. Tropez isn%26#39;t great at all, I seem to recall it took 45 minutes to drive from Nice to Cannes when we did it, it wasn%26#39;t a lot of time.





We also added in a nice stay in Eze to our visit, well worth seeing just east of Nice, along with a beautiful ride on the Grande Corniche.




|||



I think it%26#39;s a classic case of %26quot;false economy%26quot; or maybe %26quot;penny wise and pound foolish%26quot;. The amount of time it takes to deal with airports, tranportation to/from airports, security lead-times, etc for the above in strictly monetary terms MIGHT be rationalized but the most precious commodity when you%26#39;re spending thousands of dollars to come all the way over here on an 8 day schedule is TIME. Being able to spend the majority of a travel day, right up to 20 minutes before you board a train in central Paris and then stepping off the train 3 hours later - still in vacation mode - is worth more than any other aspect in managing one%26#39;s vacation.



Maybe some on this forum have had 100% good luck with European discount airlines but I%26#39;m not one of them. I%26#39;ve experienced too much crappy on-time performance and friends have had nightmare lost-luggage experiences. When you add how far the Paris airports are from the city and the huge cost of the one most reliable method of getting there, a taxi, it%26#39;s an expensive option in both dollars but especially time. Many of the discount carriers fly out of Beauvais airport which is the most time-consuming airport to connect with.



For me, back when I would get off the plane at CDG from Seattle, all I wanted to do was put the airline chaos behind me till the last minute before I had to head-out for the airport for the return trip.



Marsailles is on the French Riveria and it%26#39;s a good place to visit. I just happened to use that city as a destination when I searched the SNCF website because it%26#39;s very close to the other cities the OP mentioned by train and you can get there from Paris for as little as 33€. If the trainfare directly to Nice or Cannes were 3 times that fare, it would still be worth it in terms of lost time on an 8 day vacation schedule after spending thousands to get/stay here..





Take the train.




|||



Please pardon my ignorence, but I am still not fully understanding this.



Just to make it clear, I like most people want to save money but will not do so if it costs me time and or hassle, so money is not the issue.



I fly into CDG and want to go to St Tropez. It is my understanding that I would have to take a cab to a train station, then take the train to Nice or someplace else, then take another cab about an hour to get to St Tropez. Doesn%26#39;t sound easy OR relaxing to me.



So I thought I would bus from CDG to Orly, fly to Toulon (much closer than Nice) and cab to St Tropez. Still a hassle and drama but seems like a bit less time.



If that isn%26#39;t the case, please let me know.



Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




|||



Your original post, Twinkletoes915, did not say you were definitely going to St. Tropez.





Instead, you asked about 3 different locales: St. Tropez, Cannes and Nice.





Obviously, if you have your heart set on St. Tropez only (which was not evident in your original post), it can change the recommended way to get there.




|||



Twinkletoes





For what you are doing your plan is just fine. Going to Hyeres/Toulon is what I suggested on your other post. The airport is east of Hyeres which is closer to St Tropez. It is a small friendly airport. There is sometimes a bit of a wait for baggage as I guess they do not have masses of staff. The drive from the airport is lovely. Along by the sea for parts of it. I%26#39;m not sure of your dates but in high summer it is so much faster than coming along the %26quot;car park%26quot; which is the road from Ste Maxime to St Tropez.



You are quite right there is no nearby station to St Tropez and as that is your destination then Metromole%26#39;s suggestions do not work in this case.



It will be a long long day but hopefully worth it when you get there. Where are you staying BTW?

No comments:

Post a Comment