Sunday, April 15, 2012

Anyone still use luggage locks?

Hi all,





I%26#39;m debating if I should purchase one of those TSA locks for my upcoming trip. I%26#39;ve never locked my suitcases before and it%26#39;s been ok but for some reason I%26#39;ve been thinking about it for this trip. I won%26#39;t have anything of super value in it, just my clothes, shoes and liquids that cannot be taken on the carry-on.





I%26#39;ve read some previous posts and most seem to lean on the side of no locks, I%26#39;m just wondering what you all think?





Thanks!




|||



I%26#39;m against locks for two reasons:





1. They%26#39;re no use to you on the plane. Checked baggage security could require a search of your bag, in which case your locks will be cut off and rendered useless.





2. If they can be cut off THAT easily, I don%26#39;t see them as much of a deterrent to thieves.





3. Since you%26#39;re not supposed to be leaving your luggage unattended anyway, you shouldn%26#39;t need them to keep your valuables safe ;)





My two pennies!




|||



There are TSA approved locks (they usually remember to relock, after leaving the notice that your contents were inspected), which you can find in any luggage store. (There was a post a week or so ago on this subject, which you might be able to find with a search.)





It%26#39;s useful because at least it can deter petty pilfering (they will go to the next unlocked bag, rather than bother with yours), but unless there is no way to avoid it don%26#39;t put anything valuable into your checked luggage.




|||



Last year we lost our TSA lock twice on flights to/from CDG and the US west coast. Fortunately nothing was missing either time. We always keep the valuable stuff in our carry ons but losing those Provencale fabrics would have been a major bummer! Considering that we typically go through two US airports each way and that the locks are fairly cheap and afford some protection from casual pilferage I%26#39;ll use them again.








|||



I bought and will use TSA locks this time. Normally we just put one of those brightly coloured straps on both for identification and to slow any light-fingered opportunists down.



My mother had things taken from her checked luggage between check-in and recovery from the baggage carousel. Nothing of great value, but annoying as she had to file police reports etc for the Insurance.



The reason we will use the locks is that we are travelling on trains in Europe and our suitcase will be out of our sight. So we%26#39;ll lock it to the luggage rack. In airports skilled thieves can sneak a hand into your luggage while you%26#39;re checking out a map, sign, ticket machine etc. A lock just buys a little time, I guess.



A friend had her handbag stolen at CDG airport from the Hire Car check -in desk. It was sitting at her elbow while she and her husband looked at a map while the operator showed them directions to their destination. Not one of the 3 saw the bag disappear.



Thieves are quick and practised. A cheap lock might just be the difference between a cruisy start or a nasty shock to your holiday.



Fay.




|||



I never leave home without them. I have the TSA locks that change color when they are opened. Thieves always take the easy opportunity, with the lock you avoid that. And for 8 dollars a lock why tak ethe chance. any loss is one too many




|||



I have used TSA locks on my trips to Paris



over the past 6 years..





Even a minor deterent to petty thieves is



worth the cost of the locks; also if



you leave something in them in your



room. It may not be anything valuable



but a hassle to report and replace.




|||



I agree that locks are a good idea, if only to prevent a %26quot;crime of opportunity%26quot;. I usually pack my dirty laundry in the outside pockets of my checked luggage -- it that doesn%26#39;t turn off a prospective thief, then nothing will...





We sometimes use tie-wraps, which are easy for airport authorities to cut when required, but which may deter casual thieves from taking a quick look inside our luggage.





Earlier this year, I left a small lock on the zipper of the luggage that I was taking on a cruise ; it wasn%26#39;t holding the two zipper pulls together to lock the bag, I had just left it there so I would know where to find it for future use. The lock made it to Ft. Lauderdale intact, but was cut and removed by the cruise line before the bag was delivered to my cabin. I guess they were in too much of a hurry to realize that the bag wasn%26#39;t actually locked. Not only did they ruin the lock, but they also destroyed the zipper pull.





Lesson learned.




|||



I have never bothered with locks.





This TSA biz is a bit wierd........Assuming that the TSA only operates in the US, if a French customs person wants to unspoect your bag, arent they just going to cut it off? And if the French have TSA keys (or whatever they are) won%26#39;t every criminal in the world?




|||



I imagine that the travel lock standards are international.





As to your comment about the French, Wizard, is it just a random example, or are you implying something more sinister?




|||



born2bike





Nothing implying anything about the French - just that if keys for a lock developed exclusively for the Transport Security Administration - a US government body - are being sent around the world, then the chances of them not falling into more nefarious hands are almost negligable.





I imagine the French customs will just destroy the lock (or the bag) if they come across a TSA lock on a bag they want to open.

No comments:

Post a Comment