Thursday, April 19, 2012

Best areas to stay in?

I%26#39;m traveling to Paris for the first time this September. I%26#39;ve been doing some research into various hotels and which neighborhood of Paris to stay in. I%26#39;m not looking to spend a lot of money per night (let%26#39;s say a maximum of 160 EUR per night) and would like to be in a good, safe area accessible to public transport. Does anyone have any recommendations on which neighborhood would be the most fun and worthwhile to stay in? Also, any hotel recommendations would be appreciated!




|||



Hi stephanie,



I haven%26#39;t been to Paris yet (will go in december)..but from what I have read and heard, 5th and 7th arrondissements are popular and safe with walkable distances to Eiffel, Invalides, Orsay musuem. A hotel that I am strongly considering is Hotel Muguet which is in the 7 arr. Standard double room is 130 EU, one with a view of Eiffel / Invalides is 150EU.



Hope that helps.




|||



Hi Stephanie! I decided to try different areas to see which I liked best. I usually fly into Paris, then stay in Correze with a friend, then back to Paris before heading back to the US. First stayed in the Marais, then Eiffel Tower area, then Latin Quarter, then St. Germain de Pre. My favorite is the Marais. I love all the small shops and the proximity to Notre Dame Cathedral area, so I%26#39;m staying in the Marais this year. It%26#39;s really a matter of personal preference. Try different areas, if you have time, to see which you like. Good luck!




|||



Thank you both! A lot of the hotels I have checked out are located in the Bastille and Opera/Department Store areas. I only have 5 nights there so I will probably just stay at one hotel, but switching neighborhoods for a few nights might be a great option!




|||



I stayed once in the 5th and just got back from my second time in the 6th, albeit at different ends of it. I%26#39;m basically a left bank person although on my fourth trip I would like to stay in the Marais.





I stayed at the Hotel St. Jacques (5e), a twin room in 2003 was E115 (if I remember correctly); Hotel St. Thomas D%26#39;Aquin (on the border of the 6e and 7e; a twin room in 2006 was E130; my favourite hotel so far); and just got back from the Grande Hotel des Balcons (in the 6e; a single room was E85). All three hotels were good but, as I say, I really liked the Hotel St. Thomas D%26#39;Aquin.





From my experiences and reading you would be fine in any of the single digit arrondisements.





Your budget is generous and will give you lots of options.





I%26#39;d suggest reading up on Paris neighbourhoods and coming back with specific questions.





Good luck!




|||



I forgot to add, for five nights, I wouldn%26#39;t switch hotels. Too much bother for a short time and I wouldn%26#39;t want to lose a couple of hours doing it. But maybe you travel differently and would enjoy the challenge of learning a new neighbourhood for a day or two.




|||





I agree with the Hotel Muguet, it is very nice and not expensive. The neighborhood is very nice and safe. The metro is down the street. I have stayed here at least four times and it has always been a lovely experience.



Paris 54




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 31, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment