Thursday, April 12, 2012

From CDG to Latin Qu. (line 7) at night

Hi! Just to make it fresh first...I come to CDG at 9 p.m., solo, young female. I%26#39;d like to come to the city-center that evening and I know already that I have to take RER B via center. Where do I have to change to metro if I want to take line 7 ? I need to come to station Place Monge. Do I really have to go to metro at Les Halles? That makes me worry, because I%26#39;ve been told that it might be a very dangerous area , esp during the night?





Or in other words, give me the best (and cheapest) possibility to come from cdg to Place Monge at about 11 p.m.





And is it save to walk around Place Monge at night alone, so that I can reach my place to stay?





Thnx a lot!




|||



%26gt;%26gt; And is it save to walk around Place Monge at night alone %26lt;%26lt;





As safe as Mestni trg. Don%26#39;t be afraid of Les Halles, it%26#39;s certainly not %26quot;very dangerous%26quot;. I wonder who told you that ?





But the connection between Châtelet-les-Halles RER B platform and the Métro Line 7 platform will be verrrrrrrrry long .




|||



On my first trip to Paris, I stayed in an apartment two blocks from Place Monge station. :) It%26#39;s quite a nice area, in my opinion. The square the metro station is located is used as open markets on some days. Around the square, it%26#39;s surrounded by many stores and cafes. I never felt it was any dangerous, at any time of the day. By 11 pm, no store would be open but it would still be alright. It%26#39;s pretty much a quiet residential area. :)




|||



What does that mean, please?





%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;But the connection between Châtelet-les-Halles RER B platform and the Métro Line 7 platform will be verrrrrrrrry long .





Can anybody suggest me a better connection form cdg to place Monge? I really need an advice...I%26#39;ll travel on Sunday evening /night. Pliiiiz!



How about any bus connection or sth from the airport to as near as possible to the Lat. Qu.?




|||



%26gt;%26gt; What does that mean, please?%26lt;%26lt;





Well, it means exactly what is written : between the platform of the RER coming from CDG and the platform of the Line 7 towards Place Monge, there%26#39;s at least a full kilometer of passages, stairs and the like.





I%26#39;m afraid there is no easier solution to reach Place Monge itself, but if you give us the exact address, maybe we can sort out an easier itinerary.




|||



Look @superheterodyne, first of all I%26#39;m pretty happy for having you here, because you%26#39;re from Paris and I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll help me to find the best solution. ;) I%26#39;ll stay exactly at Young%26amp;Happy hostel, 80 rue Mouffetard. It%26#39;s a budget but I hope I%26#39;ll survive :) By the way, how was Ljubljana, nice? :)





So, I%26#39;d like to come to this up address as save as possible, because it%26#39;s my first time in Paris, traveling alone and in the middle of the night (about 11 p.m.). What I%26#39;m afraid of is to walk alone in the dark somewhere where I%26#39;ll feel uncomfortable. I have no idea how all this things in Paris look like, I mean all the stations etc. Maybe I should come to station Luxemburg by RER and then take a taxi or sth? Are there any? Would it be expensive just for me to the hostel? Just give me your advice as a local, because I really have no idea, I just see the metro map, that%26#39;s all.



First of all I even wanted to spend the night at the cdg and so avoid walking to %26#39;God-knows-where%26#39; in the dark.





Ok, so I don%26#39;t care is it a bus, a RER or anything, but I%26#39;d prefer the cheapest option.





Can you help now? ;) If yes, you%26#39;re great!!!




|||



I%26#39;m really looking forward to any reply of yours. Thnx!




|||



I have to chime in here, superheterodyne is absolutely correct. The walk from the Les Halles RER platform to the Metro Line-7 platform is several blocks long and since it%26#39;s underground, there are a lot of stairs involved. As superheterodyne suggests, it%26#39;s the logical public transportation option but it%26#39;s a long walk.



The other option is to take a taxi.



If you want to save a few euros, take the RER to Saint Michel/Notre Dame and take a taxi from there but the RER/Metro situation at Chatelet/Les Halles is a frustrating maze and you will do a lot of walking to get to Line-7.




|||



I have stayed in an apartment very near to Place Monge and I don%26#39;t think you need to worry about it being a dangerous area.



In July my daughter and I will be staying in a hotel which is a couple of stops down the metro line 7 from Place Monge and we are thinking of taking the RER B all the way to Denfert-Rochereau, then catching a train on metro line 5 to Place D%26#39;Italie and then another on line 7 to Les Gobelins which is where we need to go. Place Monge is a couple of stops further on from there. We didn%26#39;t enjoy the long walk at Chatelet les Halles the last time so are keen to avoid it if possible. Maybe one of the Paris experts can say if my idea is a good one or not!




|||



Hello Ursus,



There was no aggressivity involved, rest assured - it%26#39;s my regular way of writing ...





Since your hostel is located on 80, rue Mouffetard, and supposing that you are young and fit, I%26#39;d advise you to take the RER all the way to Luxembourg station and walk from there to your hotel.





maps.google.fr/maps/ms…





It can%26#39;t be longer than 15 minutes, it%26#39;s approximately the same distance than the underground connection at Châtelet, it%26#39;s a very safe part of Paris, and it will be lively, even at night.





Moreover, it%26#39;s a very pleasant walk - you will discover the Pantheon, the Latin Quarter at night, and have a very fresh first puff of Paris.





As to Ljubljana, it was fantastic. Actually my best friend lives there (he works for the French embassy).




|||



Hi Ursus,





Note that the Place Monge metro sation is closed for renovations. It is scheduled to reopen on May 22 (next Tuesday).



If you%26#39;re coming before then, exit the Metro at the next station, Censier-Daubenton, which is only a couple of blocks down Rue Monge from place Monge:





Have a great trip!!

No comments:

Post a Comment