Sunday, April 15, 2012

going up the Arc de triumph

Can anyone let me know how many flights of stairs this entails? I am not in the greatest shape - working a desk job does that to you :) Also we will have an 8 and 10 year old w-us but really want to see the view. I don%26#39;t want this to poop us out for the rest of the day. Thanks - Brenda




|||



It%26#39;s a challenge but doable -- the kids will probably get to the top before you do so tell them to wait! It%26#39;s a great view from up there, you%26#39;ll love it. Also, you can stop partway up to see exhibits, etc., and then continue on.




|||



I can%26#39;t remember exact count but either 283 or 287. There were LOTS of kids at the top.




|||



I took my cane, I can walk for great distances but can do very few stairs. So by taking my cane I was able to use the elevator (still had some steps though)





However, 1 if you have time, start walking up stairs to stretch those muscles.



2. I promise the view is worth it. Especially at sunset., this way I also got full advantage of my museum pass using it after the hours the museums closed. The Arc is open late.





One word of warning (which someone else had given me) the top is tiered so watch your step, there is a barrier so there is no chance of falling off.




|||



My 11-year-old and 14-year-old had no problem with the stairs; it was a little tougher for me but not too much. You can take a break midway as mentioned to catch your breath. But everyone will completely recover when you see the views atop--spectacular!





We did the Arc de Triomphe in the morning and the exercise didn%26#39;t slow us down in the least--in fact the whole family kept going until 10 p.m. that night! You can do it.




|||



Agreed that it is totally worth the effort, and that%26#39;s from another desk jockey! The kids will speed right up (as mine did), but you can stop at points along the way (as I did - there are little %26#39;grottos%26#39; where you can sit down for a couple of minutes to catch your breath.)





Penny%26#39;s advise is incredibly valuable about the uneven flooring, both at the first big %26#39;landing%26#39; area and then at the very top - you do need to watch your step.





The other thing I%26#39;d wished someone had told me was to bring my own bottle of water. Once you%26#39;re on your way up, there%26#39;s none to be had, and you will need to stay hydrated!





Also, one final piece of advice that can be generalized for many Paris attractions - if you buy a museum pass, that%26#39;s great, but you still need to get on line to get the free tickets for your kids to enter.




|||



There%26#39;s a total of 284 steps (but if you are old or handicapped, you can use the elevator).




|||



Or if you are lucky enough to smile and bat your eyelashes at the elevator operator! :)




|||



I am neither old nor handicapped, but my friend and I took the elevator. I get a bit dizzy going round and round and round in those spiraling staircases. I did not mention this to the woman manning the door, but simply asked her if the stairs going up were spiraled. She said %26quot;yes they are, but if you prefer you can take the elevator.%26quot; There were no questions about age or ability - she told me about it right away - so I%26#39;m not sure how strict they are about monitoring the elevator usage.





I was not warned about the uneven surface up top though, and fell FLAT OUT as soon as I got up there! Probably penance for taking the elevator when I was capable of walking! Ha!!! Gave us something to talk (aka laugh) about for days! (Fortunately I was not seriously hurt.)




|||



You and your children are allowed to use the elevator.... there are 18 steps after you leave the elevator.





The view is great!




|||



I understand there is a tunnel that goes under Champs E to get to the Arc de triumph. We were there years ago and I have a picture of the tomb but did not go up to the top. I don%26#39;t recall how we got across the street. Can anyone tell me where the easiest place to get to the Arc is? This was not on my must do but so many rave about it I think we should do it. Is it close to the Toyota Showroom on Champs E with the concept cars?



Thanks - Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment