Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cafe in the Marais

Hi,





Going to be staying in the Marais on rue Mahler and rue des Rivoli. I am looking for a nice friendly neighborhood cafe where I can have a nice croissant and cafe creme every morning on my 10 day trip. What are your favorites in this area and why?





Some that I am considering......





Dome(right under my hotel)



Nectarine



Cafe Hugo



La Flore en I%26#39;sle (on the I%26#39;le St. Louis)





Your thoughts are appreciated!





Robin




|||



Hi Robyn





My guess is that you are staying at the Hotel Sevigne, in which case you must finally have received a reply to all those emails. Please report back on your stay!





My new favourite for coffee and an almond croissant is Korcasz at about 29 rue des Rosiers. It is not %26quot;charming%26quot; but the coffee is good and the almond croissants are almost as good, if not just as good, as the ones I used to have at Contini in its old rue des Rosiers address, which closed about 15 months ago.





I like simple meals at Les Philosophes on the corner of rue Vieille du Temple and rue du Tresor but this not %26quot;fine dining%26quot;




|||



Thanks Faux.





I finally had to have my french friend call for me. Not happy about that, but I am happy about the price, and I travel on a budget...so.





I will try your suggestion. Do they have a terrace or tables, so you can sit? Have you ever been to Dome? I also know you like the St Catherine square...any casual places for breakfast in the AM there? I don%26#39;t really want any high class morning places....





Robin




|||



Robin,





I have a small shop in the Marais - rue de Turenne, very near the rue Mahler.





My local café is the “Royal Turenne” (on the corner of rue de Turenne and rue des Francs Bourgeois). Every morning at about 10:50, you will find local shopkeepers at the bar having coffee, or ordering it to go, before they open their shops at 11. The coffee, standing at the bar, is only 1 euro (much cheaper than elsewhere - and good). Of course as a visitor, you will want to sit down (considerably more expensive) and there’s a nice terrace for people watching.





The managers (Françoise is there in the mornings) are wonderful. It’s just a good, regular, French café.





Enjoy your visit!




|||



Tumbleweed-





Merci Beaucoup! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I am quite sure we will see you there then! BTW..what is the name of your shop...and what go you sell. I would very much love to come visit you one day while we are there!





Robin




|||



And I forgot to ask....what time does it open in the AM?




|||



We had dinner at Dome and it was pretty tasty. More of a younger, hip atmosphere.




|||



Have any idea what time they open for breakfast?




|||



Hi Robin





Korcasz does not have outside tables and does not have charm really and is mainly frequented by locals from what I could see but it does have good coffee and great patisseries. I really like the Place du Marche Ste Catherine but avoid the place that is on the corner of the Place on rue Ormisson that is called %26quot;Le Marche%26quot; as I had a really disappointing tarte tatin there that had obviously been frozen and microwaved and was horrible and soggy.





There are other little places with tables outside there that are nice and there is a little restaurant on the Place where it meets rue du Jarente (almost beside the Grand Hotel Jeanne d%26#39;Arc) where I had lunch a couple of times and still dream of the simple pasta plate (fettucini style) with a few rounds of very good pate that melted on to it, eaten with a green salad - it was excellent.





Despite the really bad reviews given by one other person who posts on TA Paris, I also like Pitchi Poi which also is a nice place for lunch or dinner outside in fine weather. I like their mixed plates and their blinis etc but each to their own.




|||



Hi Robin,





The place with the pate with pate is called the Auberge du Jarente or close to that.





Here is a site with some photos of Place du Marche Ste Catherine





leuchtner.com/photos1/…




|||



Faux,





What a riot! I found that site you gave me yesterday, just googling around. Great pics and that Auberge au Jarante looks great. It all sounded good...except for the pate....not a fan my friend! Do any of those places of the Pl ST Catherine open for breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment