Thursday, April 12, 2012

Gettin There: Pkg (Air/Hotel) vs DIY (Air/Apartment) HELP!

Hi Everyone...



I just got back from 9 days in Lovely Paris with my girlfriend..and OK, like everyone else on this board, I%26#39;m in Love!! So, once back home, I instantly want to return!!



I told my 3 girls that I want to take them to see this beautiful city but..Here%26#39;s my dilema..



I%26#39;d rather do the apartment thing with them so that we have that convenience and %26quot;crash%26quot; space for down times, plus it would be a much more %26quot;authentic%26quot; experience for them. Mind you they%26#39;ve traveled quite alot all over the world, but this would be their second time in Paris (First time was about 5 years ago with their father for 2 days, one which was spent at DisneyParis the other meandering around the Champs, so not a memorable experience for them)...I%26#39;d like to do maybe 10-12 days in August/Sept/Oct...



I%26#39;ve been looking at the pkg deals on Expedia and Orbitz (air/hotel) and find them reasonable, but then don%26#39;t have an apt.... But if I search for only airfare it%26#39;s astronomical!!! How best to get cheap air AND find a reasonable central apartment?? Are there any sites that you all know about?? If I could just get the 4 of us over there relatively inexpensively, the apt and expenses would be okay....Just seems the airfare is the killer...any help/suggestions would be appreciated. THANK YOU!




|||



I have no magic bullet - but when I lived in The City, I used to check the consolidators%26#39; ads in the NYT - especially in the Sunday Times.





Iceland Air often has seat sales, and since NWA is coming out of bankruptcy in a couple of weeks, they may have some sales to try to get a running start on their %26quot;new operation%26quot; and to take back a reasonable passenger level on their long-haul routes. I would keep a close eye on them.





The trick is to know when a fare is a good one, and be able to jump on it immediately when you recognize it.





Good luck.




|||



One possibility might be to specify the %26quot;Citadines%26quot; or %26quot;Pierre Vacance%26quot; hotel chains. They%26#39;re %26quot;apart hotels%26quot;, fully furnished apartments with hotel services.



The travel industry and their websites aren%26#39;t likely to connect you with private apartment rentals. Apartment owners that rent weekly are their competition.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, August 31, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment