Thursday, April 12, 2012

itinerary advice...normandy and loire valley

Hi,



I plan on taking a whirlwind trip through Loire valley (Amboise one night, Chinon or Saumur second night) and Normandy (Omaha Beach one night, Honfleur one night, and Rouen one night). I know it will be a lot of area to cover, but is it do-able, or not??? Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!




|||



You%26#39;re starting this trip in Paris?





If so, take the train to Deauville-Trouville and rent a car, spend a night in Honfleur.





Next night in Bayeux, visiting Omaha Beach.





Two nights in Ambioise.





However, I think you would be well advised to spend all of the time in Normandy.




|||



Hi - Imag72 - thats quite a trip - I have done it myself and would recommend staying in Honfleur for 2 nights and then Amboise(or Saumur) for 2 nights - I travel from London in my own car and would say that a car is essential as public transport in the Loire Valley and Normandy aint great-and getting between the two places isnt%26#39;t easy also -I can recommend Maison De Lucie in Honfleur and Anne D%26#39; Anjou in Saumur - I have stayed at both and they are great esp - Maison De Lucie,you wont find a better place in the whole of Nomande - I have been there about 50 times and its my fave place to stay - Mark in London.




|||



Am not sure what you mean by %26quot;do-able%26quot;.





Can you drive to these points within the alloted time? - yes.





Will you see much besides the autoroute and the inside of a motel room? - probably not.





A round robin from Paris to the Loire Valley and on to the invasion beaches can be done in 7-10 days. If you have less than 7 days, I highly recommend you choose Normandy or the Loire Valley.





When it comes to driving around France - less is more.




|||



We did both areas a couple of years ago. We had two nights in Normandy and two in the Loire, and it was barely enough. I could have done all four easily in one of the locations. If you want a whirlwind to see as much as possible, it will work, but you will miss out on a lot. I highly recommend picking one. And I I could have only seen one, it would have been Normandy, but that is th historty side of me and it was important for me to spend time in the Canadian war cemetaries




|||



Do one area or the other - You will spend most of your time driving otherwise. The first time we went to France we traveled from Normandy to the Loire and it took about four to five hours. The roads are better now but much of your morning and/or afternoon would be spent in the car. There are too many wonderful places in each area to shortchange your visit, In the Loire we based oursevles near Tours and found that centerally located enough to get to anywhere iin the area within a couple of hours. I find it much easier to have one base so you don%26#39;t spend your time getting in and out of towns hotels etc. - gives you more time to enjoy places you see.



In Normandy either Caen or Bayeau make a good base ndepending on if you prefer a larger (Caen) or smaller (Bayeau) place to stay. They are both convenient to WW2 sites.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 01, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment