Thursday, April 12, 2012

Please correct me or help me with my Carte Orange plan!

Carte Orange Procedures – Please help/correct me?!





My husband and I are headed to Paris for the first week of June and would like to use the Carte Orange. Last time we were in Paris for a week we used the Carnets and despite walking a LOT we also took the metro quite a lot as well so we think that getting the Carte Orange will be economical for us.





I’ve scoured the boards for all of the Carte Orange postings and think I understand what I need to do but a lot of the information is in fragments so I am hoping some of the regulars and local experts can tell me if I have the right understanding and correct me where necessary. THANKS!





We arrive Friday morning for a 7 day stay. We plan to buy 1 Carnet of 10 tickets for use on Fri/Sat/Sun. On Friday morning we plan to go to any metro station and ask to purchase a Carte Orange for the coming week:



- Is the Carte Orange available for purchase at any metro station or only certain stations?



- Cost is approximately 16 euros, is this correct?



- We each need to present a 1x1 passport size photo, is this correct? Do we need to bring anything else?



- We ask for a “Carte Orange pour Zones 1-2”, is this correct? Or do we need to ask for a coupon hebomadaire or anthing else as well?



- I gather from the previous postings that the “Carte Orange” is made up of a ticket that you put in and out of the machine like a regular metro ticket and a separate card with your picture in a plastic sleeve; is this correct or am I getting it confused?





Sorry for all the questions on this much discussed topic, I just want to be sure that I have ALL of the right info in one spot because I’m reading so many different posts on this I don’t want to get mixed up.





THANKS!!!




|||



%26gt;%26gt; - Is the Carte Orange available for purchase at any metro station or only certain stations?



- Cost is approximately 16 euros, is this correct?



- We each need to present a 1x1 passport size photo, is this correct? Do we need to bring anything else?



- We ask for a “Carte Orange pour Zones 1-2”, is this correct? Or do we need to ask for a coupon hebomadaire or anthing else as well?



- I gather from the previous postings that the “Carte Orange” is made up of a ticket that you put in and out of the machine like a regular metro ticket and a separate card with your picture in a plastic sleeve; is this correct or am I getting it confused? %26lt;%26lt;





1/ Yes, all of them. Beware though, in some refurbished stations, there are no more manned booths but automatic vending machines with agents to help. I wouldn%26#39;t try and buy in those stations, since the machines only take coinage/French cards. [There are banknote exchangers in those stations, but you never know.]





2/ Yes





3/ No, the passport size photo is enough





4/ To be very accurate, and to be sure that you get all you need, ask for %26quot;Une carte orange et un coupon hebdomadaire zones 1 et 2%26quot; . (Don%26#39;t forget to add s%26#39;il vous plaît!)





5/ Correct.




|||



Hi Shylo:





Your Questions:







- Is the Carte Orange available for purchase at any metro station or only certain stations?





Yes the Carte Orange is available at any metro station with an open guichet...





- Cost is approximately 16 euros, is this correct?





Yes, for Zones 1%26amp;2 the cost is 16 euros





- We each need to present a 1x1 passport size photo, is this correct? Do we need to bring anything else?





You don%26#39;t present the photo. Just ask for the Carte Orange for the week and a %26quot;nouveau portefeuille%26quot; or %26quot;noveau pochette%26quot;



The clerk will hand you a plastic wallet that you then add the picture to, write the ticket number on, and sign...





- We ask for a “Carte Orange pour Zones 1-2”, is this correct? Or do we need to ask for a coupon hebomadaire or anthing else as well?





Ask for %26quot;deux Carte Orange hebdomadaire pour Paris zones 1%26amp;2%26quot; and put down the exact amount ,32 euros and the clerk will know exactly what you want...





- I gather from the previous postings that the “Carte Orange” is made up of a ticket that you put in and out of the machine like a regular metro ticket and a separate card with your picture in a plastic sleeve; is this correct or am I getting it confused?





That is correct. On the metro you %26quot;validate%26quot; your ticket by putting it in the turnstile and taking it back out... THIS PART IS MOST IMPORTANT! Take it back out with you.





When using a bus though you simply show it to the driver. Flash it like you were the FBI...do not validate it on the bus or you will cancel it for the remainder of the week...





Have a great time and do jump on a few buses



;




|||



%26gt;%26gt; do not validate it on the bus or you will cancel it for the remainder of the week... %26lt;%26lt;





I%26#39;m just nit-picking here, but that%26#39;s not true anymore.




|||



Hi Superheterodyne.





%26quot;%26gt;%26gt; do not validate it on the bus or you will cancel it for the remainder of the week... %26lt;%26lt;



I%26#39;m just nit-picking here, but that%26#39;s not true anymore.%26quot;





I find that interesting. I wonder when that went into effect. In April I had two clients who ran their weekly carte orange coupons into a validator on the 92 bus and couldn%26#39;t use them the next day. They were able to explain and have them replaced.





The RATP website still says, %26quot;Dans le bus, vous devez présenter votre Carte Orange et son coupon au conducteur.%26quot;





Translation: On the bus, you MUST present your Carte Orange and it%26#39;s coupon to the conductor.%26quot;





When in Paris I watch the locals for cues on getting things done. Locals flash their Carte Orange.





Thanks for the update on that Superheterodyne. I%26#39;ll keep my eyes open...




|||



Well, maybe it%26#39;s me who has its facts wrong - but when I was still using coupns and cards (I switched for Navigo in 2003), validating a coupon in an electronic bus validator had absolutely no effect on it, apart from flashing the small green light.





I was thinking of the situation many years ago - when bus validating machines used to drill holes in the ticket (and at that time, validating a Carte Orange would definitely void it).





I%26#39;d love to make a real experiment, but I can%26#39;t afford 16€ just for that pleasure right now, so I%26#39;ll have to wait ;-)




|||



Hi Super;





Yes, I too use the Navigo so haven%26#39;t experienced it personally, and I also have better ways to use 16 euros.





I do take the bus often, the 92 and 63 mainly but often just like to jump on one and ride it to the end of the line just to check out what%26#39;s there, so I%26#39;ll keep my eyes open and see what I see and report back.





Anyone else had that Carte Orange experience or can update this info?




|||



Thank you so much for your help everyone. It%26#39;s going straight into my book!




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 01, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment