Saturday, April 21, 2012

My 4-day Paris trip itinerary - Any feedback appreciated!

I%26#39;m leaving for Paris this Friday and will spend 4 full days from Saturday till Tuesday.





I created a brief high-level plan for the trip. It is my first to Paris and I%26#39;m trying to get Paris Visite and Museum Pass for easier get-around.





Please critique me for anything!!





Day 1 (Friday): Arrive



Day 2 (Saturday): Trocadero, Eiffel Tower, Bateau-Mouche ride around the Seine, Musee D%26#39;Orsay, Hotel Des Invalides, Musee Rodin



Day 3 (Sunday): Pont Neuf, Ill de la Cite, Notre-Dame, Sainte-Chappelle, Ill St-Louis, Latin Quarter, Pantheon,



Day 4 (Monday): Louvre, Tuilerie Garden, Montmartre at night (with Moulin Rouge maybe?), Sacre-Coeur



Day 5 (Tuesday): Shopping! Champs-Elysee, Place Vendome, Opera, Lafayette %26amp; Au Printemps, Arc de Triomphe



Day 6 (Wednesday): Departure





I%26#39;d love to try out the Versailles, but given the number of days I have, I%26#39;ll probably have to skip. I%26#39;d welcome any advice!!!





Thanks in advance!





-J.




|||



Well, you have done a very smart thing, I noticed, which is listing the big attractions as your first stop each day (Eiffel and Louvre). Be careful around Montmarte at night - I think I remember reading that the pickpockets, etc. are particularly aggressive there at night, but that could be inaccurate. I think you are wise to leave out Versailles given the number of days that you have. Have a great time!




|||



Thanks, supremecourt!





Yes, I%26#39;m trying to get the major attractions in the morning. Initially, I did not have a plan for Montmartre, but wanted to check out Moulin-Rouge. Maybe it%26#39;s not worthwhile?





Thanks again!!!! :-)





-J.




|||



bb- I can%26#39;t point you to a specific thread, but I seem to recall a few people mentioning that they did not find the Moulin Rouge worth a stop - but if it%26#39;s something you%26#39;re really interested in, then you should go! It was never on my list, so I%26#39;m probably not the best person to offer feedback on the MR. Maybe instead of the MR you could go back to Trocadero and see the Eiffel tower at night?





Your itinerary sounds great - very well organized. I%26#39;m sure others will have feedback for you as well!!




|||



I agree Moulin Rouge is not particularly interesting if all you%26#39;re doing is walking by (have not gotten around to trying to see a show there). I wanted to go after seeing the movie (on the plane, on may way home from Paris -- great fun), but was disappointed. Plus there really is not much else anywhere around it, so it took a lot of time without much return. That%26#39;s maybe something to put on the list for your third or fourth trip to Paris, when you don%26#39;t really feel a need to go back to the %26quot;biggies.%26quot;





I also agree you should not try to do Versailles on this trip, because although it%26#39;s well worth the effort it will take the better part of a day. Again, think %26quot;next trip%26quot; (once you have been there, you will be thinking about the next trip -- whenever that might be, even if a few years away -- even before you leave).




|||



I agree Moulin Rouge is not particularly interesting if all you%26#39;re doing is walking by (have not gotten around to trying to see a show there). I wanted to go after seeing the movie (on the plane, on may way home from Paris -- great fun), but was disappointed. Plus there really is not much else anywhere around it, so it took a lot of time without much return. That%26#39;s maybe something to put on the list for your third or fourth trip to Paris, when you don%26#39;t really feel a need to go back to the %26quot;biggies.%26quot;





I also agree you should not try to do Versailles on this trip, because although it%26#39;s well worth the effort it will take the better part of a day. Again, think %26quot;next trip%26quot; (once you have been there, you will be thinking about the next trip -- whenever that might be, even if a few years away -- even before you leave).




|||



Thanks guys!!!!





I%26#39;ll take your advice and skip the Moulin Rouge and montmartre all together!!! :-)





Checking out the Eiffel tower at night sounds like a great idea.





Can%26#39;t wait for the trip!!! and I%26#39;m sure I%26#39;ll be coming back, so I%26#39;ll leave the Montmartre and the Versailles to the next trip!





:-)





- j.




|||



I hope you reconsider visiting Montmartre. It%26#39;s as safe as any place in Paris and night time is no exception. It%26#39;s one of the last places where you can experience the ancient Paris existing before the mid 1850s when Haussmann cut Paris up into straight lines.



I agree that the Moulin Rouge is a waste of time. Go to Las Vegas if you like tacky stage shows IMO.



Montemartre is not the Moulin Rouge. It%26#39;s charming and quaint if you seek out the neighborhoods where the Parisians live.




|||



Another thought. check that the Louvre is open, i remember several (including the Louvre) were closed on a Monday...




|||



bbmania, where are you from in New York? If you live in the metro NYC area or visit it often, I might suggest skipping the big department stores. That is, unless you LIKE the idea of shopping at Macy%26#39;s during holiday season, because that%26#39;s what it%26#39;s like. I found the small boutiques of Le Marais, St. Germain and Monmartre so much more interesting, unique and worthwhile.





Here%26#39;s a link to my goList for first-timers to Paris. I wrote it for families but other TA members without kids have told me it%26#39;s helpful. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i11526-Know_Bef…




|||



Thanks again! I%26#39;ll try to squeeze in Montmartre..





And thanks %26quot;orientme%26quot; for the advice! I%26#39;d love to try out the small boutique and YES, I%26#39;m from NYC! :-) Guess there%26#39;s not much difference to it?





Thanks for the advice and the link!!!





Can%26#39;t wait for the trip...2 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment