Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Paris dining experiences itinerary - your comments please?

Hi there



I%26#39;ll be in Paris for 4 nights at the end of May - this time I want to make sure we are booked into good restaurants each night as the only bad experiences I%26#39;ve had in Paris in the past is wandering around aimlessly looking for a good restaurant that isn%26#39;t fully booked! So this time I plan to make reservations in advance!



We are staying at Hotel St Jacques and so far I have:



Wednesday night: - staying close to the hotel - Brasserie Balzar



Thursday night - Aux Lyonnaise or Gallopin or Fontaine de Mars - help?!



Friday night - wedding anniversary - booked Bofinger with table under the dome (drinks at Le Train Blu first then a wander through Marais after dinner - any comments?)



Saturday night - Le Procope or one of the others I don%26#39;t choose on Thursday night??



Are there any of the brasseries, bistros or restaurants listed above that I should avoid or any that are must dos? Any that will shove me and my hubby in a back room/seperate section because we speak only the most rudimentary French?? Your help would be appreciated - I%26#39;ve read too many reviews I have bamboozled myself!



Cheers, Cx






|||



Wed Brasserie Balzar - I%26#39;ve eaten here and had decent food.





Thur - I%26#39;m not familiar with any of these, so can%26#39;t comment





Fri - Bofinger is nice. The restaurant is Art Nouveau and pretty breathtaking and the food is decent





Sat - I%26#39;ve been to Procope, but wouldn%26#39;t really recommend it along with your other choices.





Other possibilities:



Le Pre Verre on Rue Thenard (in your neighborhood)



Bouquiniste (sp)



Ze Kitchen Galerie





Have fun and Bon Appetite!




|||



What about Perraudin??



It%26#39;s very close to you but I have never been. Hopefully someone can weigh in because I%26#39;d like an opinion on it.





See frommers.com/destinations/paris/D41302.html




|||



I did not enjoy Fontaine de Mars. They were out of my first two requests (rabbit and pork for heavens sake! how can you be out of those!!??). I ordered chicken and it was just so-so. Not even remotely a memorable meal. You can do much better.




|||





We went to Procope last year and I do not recommend it. It is historical and the interior interesting but the food is dull and boring. Le Perron is a super Italian restaurant that we visited this year, once for dinner and then again for lunch. They specialize in veal.



6, rue Perronet, 7e Tel: 01 45 44 71 51. Another I can highly recommend is Fish la Boissonnerie 69 rue de Seine, 6e tel: 01 43 54 34 69 Excellent food, service and wine by the glass.




|||



Does anyone know how close Brasserie Zimmer is to where one would get one of the Seine River cruises? We are doing: Bateaux Vedettes du Pont-Neuf. I%26#39;d also like some good restaurant recommendations. We have two nights in Paris so we%26#39;ll want to choose well.





Thanks,




|||



Oops. I meant to ask if anyone knows how close Fish la Boissonnerie is to the Seine cruises?




|||



Some of my favourite restaurants are in the Latin Quarter. I recommend L%26#39;Époque on rue du Cardinal-Lemoin near Place de la Contrescarpe and Le Languedoc at 64 Boulevard de Port-Royal.





Bofinger is a good choice for a special occasion as the setting is great.




|||



Hi,





Fish la Boissonnerie on Rue de Seine would be an excellent choice. We had a wonderful meal in April, (clam risotto was fantastic) and then retired to La Palette for a digestif (or two)!





Les Bouquinistes and Allard (for a true Bistro experience) are also very good restaurants with high quality cuisine.





It would depend which Cruise company you were using as to distance from the 6th Arr.





Best wishes




|||



Wednesday night: - Brasserie Balzar - very good



Thursday night - Fontaine de Mars - I%26#39;ve only ever been disappointed with this place



Friday night - Bofinger- beautiful setting. It is part of a chain so the food is decent, but somewhat industrial



Saturday night - Le Procope - horrible, stay away!!!!



Other options- Josephine, Chez Dumonet which is one of the best local bistros I have EVER dined at (I live here, so I%26#39;ve tried more than most), Les Bouquinistes, L%26#39;Atelier Joel Robuchon for the anniv dinner if food is important to you.




|||



I am familiar with Brasserie Balzar. It%26#39;s classic in decor and expensive for a brasserie. We checked it out and opted not as the menu seemed not so interesting. It is, however, an institution in the area (for what that%26#39;s worth).





We have had (over many years of loving Paris) delightful meals at La Mediterranee (at Place Odeon i.e., Caree de l%26#39;Odeon, 6th arr.; 01.43.26.02.30). Seafood is its forte. Jean Cocteau murals throughout. Wonderful service. Dinner for two with entree (starter), main course, cocktails, moderately priced bottle of wine (a provencal rose), and coffee came to about 130-140 euros.





We also dined at La Fontaine Gaillon (1 rue St. Augustin, 2nd arr., between Palais Royal %26amp; Opera; 01.47.42.63.22) which is co-owned by Gerard Depardieu. Classical French with forte in fish. Impeccable service. If it%26#39;s nice weather, there is a lovely patio dining area. Cocktails, entree (starter), main course, coffee, and moderately priced bottle of wine came to 180 euros.





Reservations required for both places. I would return to both in a heart beat!





For a fantastic taste of high-end wines, check out L%26#39;Ecluse -- a chain of intimate wine bars throughout the city. We each sampled Chateau Margaux and a couple of Pomerols at the one located at 15, quai des grands Augustins, along the Seine (left bank) between St. Michel and Pont Neuf. Just wonderful!





Enjoy! Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment