Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tipping hotel maid???

Iknow that many tipping practices are different in Paris than the US. Is it custom to tip the hotel maids here??? In the US I usually leave two dollars a night qnd wasnt sure what to do here??? Thanks!




|||



1 to 2 Euros per day is fine




|||



Talking about tipping. Is it customary to tip a bell hop or porter? How about a taxi driver?




|||



Taxi driver -- one euro or round up.





Luggage is about 1 Euro per bag for van driver or bell hop




|||



Small hotels do not have porters. At deluxe hotels that have porters tip at least 1.50 euro per bag and .75 euro per bag for moderately sized hotels. Taxi drivers may be tipped at 10% of the fare cost.




|||



I make up a small envelope for each day, just write on it %26quot; Merci !%26quot; (I like to %26#39;decorate%26#39; them, too :) .... Each morning, I leave 2Euro in the envelope and lay it on the bed, which I know housekeeping will make up and they will know the envelope is meant for them. If you just leave change on a desk or nightstand, they may be unsure if you just left it there or is it a tip.. It%26#39;s a small amount but two maids at my hotel have stopped us in the hallway to say %26#39;thank you%26#39;.




|||



I have never tipped a hotel maid in Europe. I thought only Americans did, perhpas it is something new and now people are doing it, what do our local experts say on this??





I do not tip the taxi driver for the luggage as there is a an extra CHARGE for each piece. One euro per bag. I do round up taxi fare and usaully leave about a euro for a short trip as a tip.





I have never used a hotel porter.




|||



Joan1: %26quot;I have never tipped a hotel maid in Europe.%26quot;





The last two hotels I stayed in Paris, I neogotiated a month rate with breakfast, tax and service included. I was told that the maid tip was included in that rate. I think I would ask the manager before tipping the 1-2 Euros per day.





(In Mexico, one is expected to tip the maids. Americans and Canadians do so there.)





I would ask if the tip is included in the room charge.





We drive all over (35 hotels) France every couple of years and every place but one told us it was included in the room charge. The one that told us it was not included was a very expensive hotel.





Who else does not tip maids? I have also read ( I do not know if this is true that the English do not tip that it is considered an %26quot;American thing%26quot;.





One does not tip if there is a charge for luggage.





Vans do not charge for luggage so a tip of $1.00 is recommended on the web site.





I do tip tour guides.



I do tip more if they make an effort to give information in English (some tours are in French only but some guides do try to give information in English).




|||



I always tip the hotel maid in Paris - why? Look who does the work, are you trying to tell me its a well paid job?




|||



Our hotel %26quot;maid%26quot; was male. He also doubled as the porter at times. He wasn%26#39;t French. Not sure of his national origin.





Our room was always perfect, bathroom spotless, plenty of towels and toilet paper. He was always very polite when we%26#39;d run into him in the hallway. At the end of our stay, left him an envelope with %26quot;Merci%26quot; on it (as someone else had suggested). I%26#39;m not sure what my hubby paid him. Most likely 10 or 12 euros, though. We would%26#39;ve felt funny not tipping him, especially since we saw him quite a few times.




|||



I always tip the Maids, Door Men and Room Service. These are the People on the lowest making wage scale. And in Europe, I noticed that the Same Person is doing alot of Multi- tasking and I appreciate Good Service.





As My Hsband Say%26#39;s





I once had a Pet Hamster and All I fed Him was thanks. And You know what happened to Him? He Died...





As I say......





Tipping is not a City in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment