Saturday, April 21, 2012

Porte De Versailles, Paris

Has anyone stayed in this area before? I have a week through Interval International at the Residence Paris XV. Has anyone stayed there or in that neighborhood? I know it is out of the historic area, near the Expostition center. I am assuiming that taking the metro to see the sights will make staying out there pretty easy. I hope, anyway! Any information on this hotel or area would be appreciated. Thank you!




|||



Yes, I have stayed at Porte de Versailles before. In itself, nothing wrong with the neighbourhood; it is close to the périphérique ringroad around Paris, with plenty of supermarkets, cafés and hotels.





I could be wrong, but if you%26#39;re staying at %26quot;Pierre %26amp; Vacances Residence Paris XV%26quot;, I think that%26#39;s actually in Issy-les-Moulineaux (16, rue Eliane Jeannin-Gareau, 92130), so just outside the Péripherique (although they also mention as address Rue d%26#39;Ouradour-sur-Glane, 75015). Possibly, they are located just a few steps outside of the city border/on a corner. (the Ouradour-sur-Glane street name is not so nice for a hotel - it reminds the French of the mass murder by SS of a village in WW2 - on the other hand, a hotel will prefer an address with a 75015 Paris postal code over one in Issy-les-Moulineaux)





That%26#39;s no problem, it might just mean a slightly longer walk (500 m to 1 km) to the Porte de Versailles metro station. And the area outside the périphérique has not much charm.





Personally, I would prefer to stay within the Paris péripherique, also because the hotels outside are often not cheaper. The Residence Paris XV even charge extra for WiFi internet access.




|||



Thanks for the info! Yes, that is the place. It is the one on the Rue Oradour. Not the most central and charming, but I was able to get 7 nights in a one-bedroom apartment with kitchen at this hotel for $900 (US)total. We will be travelling with our 2 teenagers. The living room has two sofa beds, so it seemed like a practical choice. Is this neighborhood safe?




|||



Yes, there are 2 %26quot;sister%26quot; buildings, I used to work there. It was my first experience in hotel business and not the best. I was left alone for 8 hours with no break, in charge of 180 mini-flats. I especially hated it when I had to handle with police and desesperate guests after a 10-room break-in on a Saturday afternoon. I was unable to get the manager before she comes at 9 am on Monday!



But it was 6 years ago, lets hope they improuved the security and services.



I also hope for you that you will be in the new one.



Inside the mini appartments you have a bathroom, a big leaving room with kitchen corner that can be split in 2 rooms if you shut the 2 massive doors.



Invest in a subway pass as you won%26#39;t have any thing to do or visit in the area.




|||



Wow! That%26#39;s disturbing! My reservation is non-refundable, so I am stuck. I hope they provide a safe! What about walking around the area to get to and from the metro? Is that safe, or is there a lot of street crime? And at night? Anyone esle care to chime in? I would love to hear something positive.




|||



The neighborhood is fine and you don%26#39;t have to worry about street crime. I was recently there late at night with a girls friend and we were fine. In fact, we were there trying out Restaurant du Marche at 59 rue Dantzig. It was recommended by someone in this forum and if you%26#39;d like an excellent traditional french meal, this would be an adress worth noting.




|||



The security there will be OK, , just take normal precautions. But the area is far from the center, you really have to take the metro. I wouldn%26#39;t live there as for me it is not the %26quot;real%26quot; Paris, Buildings are too modern for my taste and the Boulevards in front of the Exhibition center are full of cars all day. I guess it is ok if you are going to pend only some time in the evening and morning, and the rest of the day on the city center...




|||



Thanks for the replies! Yes, the plan is to get comfortable lodging for a great price (which I think I did) and spend all day taking the metro to visit the sights. We will not be spending much time at the Residence Paris XV. We also plan to take the kids for 1 day to Disneyland. Anyone know if that will be easy to get to from the Porte de Versailles Metro stop?




|||



A few years back, I stayed at the Mercure Porte de la Plaine, which is also next to the Périphérique, 1 km from the Residence Paris XV.





Maybe it is normal with this size and kind of hotel, but I found the security measures (guards, camera%26#39;s, etc.) striking. I never felt unsafe though, inside or outside the hotel.




|||



Sorry, I didn’t intent to be depressing.





At the time there were no guard and no camera and no safe in the rooms at Paris XV 3* and already some at Mercure 4* Porte de la Plaine.



As I previously said lets hope they learnt from the past.





I checked with them: they only have 25 safes located on the reception back office and ask for a 275 euros deposit…



Here is the residence web site.





pierreetvacances.com/scripts/…





The inside is not bad at all. I am sure you will like feeling like a hawk, having a nest up in the concrete building to cook and rest after all the excursions. You will have all day to enjoy real Paris.





About safety by the streets, nothing to worry, I was off at 11 PM every day and never had bad experience in the vicinity of the hotel or during my 1h30 trip back home.




|||



Thank you, Parisiangirl! You have relieved my mind! It%26#39;s too bad they don%26#39;t have too many safes, but it is worth the depoisit to use one for security. Thank you for the weblink too!

No comments:

Post a Comment