Saturday, March 24, 2012

Can I change Deutsche Mark to Euro in Paris?

silly question. not sure if this should be here in the first place but my bf%26#39;s got some leftover Deutsche Mark. Can we change that to Euro in Paris?? Or only at Germany%26#39;s National Central Bank: Deutsche Bundesbank? We%26#39;ll be in Paris for studies and haven%26#39;t decided if we%26#39;re gonna travel to Germany during school break.





thanks!




|||



You can%26#39;t change old Deutsh Maks for Euros in Paris.



You can%26#39;t even change Francs coins and small notes (the limit was 2006), only some (not all) large notes any more and only at the Banque de France.



I don%26#39;t know what the rules are in Germany about the old Marks.




|||



Frankly I think that Deutsche mark are no longer a valid currency.





I have done some searching and it seems that the 28th Feb. 2002 was the final date for changing DM-notes in local German banks into euros. Since that date you can only change DM-notes in the national central bank.





I doubt very much if the French will accept DM-notes !!




|||



ok thanks for the quick replies!





looks like we might be travelling to germany! hehe




|||



Not in Germany, either. All the old currencies were phased out gears ago.




|||



DesAlpes - not quite correct. The euro-countries were allowed to decide the timelimit themselves. Some countries still recieve old notes, but ONLY through their national central banks (not in %26quot;ordinary%26quot; banks) - which is the case in e.g. Germany (not time limit) and France (until 30th June 2012).





Let me guess: it will involve some heavy paperwork too !








|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;The euro-countries were allowed to decide the timelimit themselves. Some countries still recieve old notes, but ONLY through their national central banks%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





Old Deutsche Mark denomination coins and banknotes must be exchanged at Deutsche Bundesbank, German national bank branches.....so I suppose you could make a side trip to Germany and %26#39;subsidize%26#39; the outing with your old Deutsche Marks (found money)





…europa.eu/economy_finance/euro/transition/e…




|||



%26lt;%26lt;Let me guess: it will involve some heavy paperwork too !%26gt;%26gt; Last month a Banque de France ATM machine accidentally te my bank card and I had the joy of spending a couple of hours there. From what I saw, cliets simply came in with their large notes, showed proof of ID and received their Euros. Amazingly efficient and down right unFrench.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;Let me guess: it will involve some heavy paperwork too ! %26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





As previously noted....the %26#39;..system..%26#39; is pretty simple and straightforward---you hand over old French Francs and they make a few keystrokes to figure the official rate-of-exchange and hand back new €uros......unless you happen to show up with suitcases stuffed with old Francs....and then you might spend a few hours chatting with Interpol agents, exploring your possible associations with organized crime.




|||



I had a couple hundred DM I went to the central bank in Berlin and exchanged for Euros. It wasn%26#39;t easy to find, but once I got there, it was a very simple process. All I remember is that it was about 200 M from a metro station in Mitte area.




|||



%26gt; From what I saw, cliets simply came in with their large notes, showed proof of ID and received their Euros. Amazingly efficient and down right unFrench.





Good news. I found a few hundred francs the other day. They are now stowed with my passport (else I%26#39;d forget again).

No comments:

Post a Comment