Friday, March 30, 2012

Daytrip Suggestions

Hello Everyone,





I am traveling alone the last week of August and staying in Paris for 7 nights. I am planning 2 daytrips to: 1) Lourdes 2) Avignon area. I have read up on the areas and checked out current train schedules to get an idea of trip lengths, etc. Lourdes looks like 5 hours there and back and I am thinking of spending just a couple of hours there or maybe take a night train back to Paris to give me more time, any ideas? Based on train schedules now, it looks like I would have approx. 9 - 10 hours for the Avignon area. I know this isn%26#39;t much, but I just want a taste, so I can go back and just spend time in Provence next time around. I will be taking TGVs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.



Thanks, Denise




|||



PersonallyI think you will be doing yourself a dis-service by merely staying a few hours in Lourdes, but if time really is of the essence, then I would definetely suggest you maximise your stay by taking the night train back to Paris. Apart from visiting the Grotto/baths etc., be sure to attend the blessing of the sick ceremony which commences each day. at 5pm when the Blessed Sacrament is processed along with hundreds of pilgrims ,from opposite the Grotto, then along the esplanade, culminating in Benedication inside the underground basilica of Pius X. Depending on your departure time, you should also endeavour to attend the nightly %26#39;Marial%26#39; candlelight procession which commences at 9pm. For further information check out the official Lourdes website www.lourdes-france.com/indexSanctuaries.php… and under Sanctuaries click on Timetable




|||



Thank you for the information. I will definitely keep that in mind. Sorry it took so long to respond.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, September 01, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment