Friday, March 30, 2012

Daytrip Suggestions

Hello Everyone,





I am traveling alone the last week of August and staying in Paris for 7 nights. I am planning 2 daytrips to: 1) Lourdes 2) Avignon area. I have read up on the areas and checked out current train schedules to get an idea of trip lengths, etc. Lourdes looks like 5 hours there and back and I am thinking of spending just a couple of hours there or maybe take a night train back to Paris to give me more time, any ideas? Based on train schedules now, it looks like I would have approx. 9 - 10 hours for the Avignon area. I know this isn%26#39;t much, but I just want a taste, so I can go back and just spend time in Provence next time around. I will be taking TGVs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.



Thanks, Denise




|||



Now that%26#39;s what I call speed tourism!





The areas you mention are not really for day trips and France is a vast country. Do not be fooled into thinking that because their high speed trains shorten journey times otherwise - both places are in the region of 700km from Paris.





There is enough to do in Paris for 7 days without taking large chunks out sitting on a train.





If you must get out of Paris spend two days in Avignon.




|||



We spent 8 nights in Paris and still didn%26#39;t get to see everything we wanted to see. I too would hate you to cut into your Paris time with day trips; but if you really want to experience some of the French countryside, I would suggest someplace much closer like the Champagne region or Loire Valley. I know someone who did a day trip to the Champagne region while they were staying in Paris so that is definitely do-able.




|||



I agree with what has been said.





I have taken the TGV from Avignon to Paris and back in one day for a business trip. I took the 6 am train out of Avginon and was in Paris at 8:40 am. Went to several meetings and returned on a 5:30 pm train. It will never allow you enough time to see anything but the center of Avignon. Plus, you will be very rushed. I don%26#39;t recommend it. Perhaps you can come back another time when you have more time.





You might consider places closer to Paris for a one day excursion outside of the city.




|||



Thank you all for the information! I have been to Paris before, so I am not as concerned about having enough time there. After everyone%26#39;s comments, however, I might revisit my plans and do a daytrip somewhere closer to Paris. Thanks again! If anyone has any ideas on places closer to Paris, it would be much appreciated!





Toutou - thanks for the tip sheet, as it turned out I won%26#39;t be able to use it this time around, but I am definitely SAVING it for next time!




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, August 31, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment